Guntur Traditions is wishing you all a very Happy Mother's Day .
Celebrating this day with warm and juicy Jalebi!!!
Maida / all purpose flour - 11/2 cups
Senagapindi / besan - 2tbs
Turmeric powder / yellow food color - pinch (optional)
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Curd / plain yogurt - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/2cup (more if needed)
Oil - for deep frying
Jaggery (chopped)- 11/2 cups
water - 11/4 cup
Elachi powder / rose essence - 1/4 tsp
- Mix maida , turmeric powder and senagapindi in a bowl , add water and yogurt to it and mix well to make a smooth batter . The batter should be idly batter / pancake batter consistency .
- Close the bowl and put it in warm place like oven / microwave (don't switch on) and let it ferment for 24 hours ( it worth) , if you live in warm place 6 hrs of fermentation is enough . After fermentation , it won't double in size but some bubbles form on top .
- After 24 hours of fermentation , when u ready to make Jalebis , take the batter , add baking powder to it and mix it will .
- To make syrup , take a wide open pan , take jaggery , water and mix it will and bring it a boil ,( if u want to add elachi powder / rose essence add now) and simmer it for another 5-10 minutes until one string consistency . let it cool until it is worm (not too hot) .
- Take a wide bottom pan and add oil , not more than 1" from the bottom and let it heat on medium flame .
- can make Jalebis with ketchup battle or ziplock bag .If you are using ziplock bag , take the batter in a ziplock bag make a tiny hole by cutting the corner with scissors .
- Check if the oil is hot enough for frying Jalebi by adding a drop of batter to the oil , it should come up slowly but not very fast.
- Start frying the jalebis , take the ketchup bottle or ziplock bag that is filled with batter and carefully sqeeze the batter in the oil my making circles (shape of jalebi) .
- Once they are fried on one side , turn them to the other and let fry completely (fry them until they are crisp on both sides) .
- When they are fried on both sides , take them out of the frying pan and add to the syrup pan (syrup should be warm , not hot) . let them soak the syrup for 20 secs on each side .
- Now arrange them in soaked jelabis in try and they are ready to enjoy!!!