rice - 4 cups (rice cups)
carrots - 2
cabbage - small piece
potato - 1 big
onions - 2 medium size
ginger - 1 inch piece
garlic - 4 cloves
green chilly - 1
mint - few stems
cinnamon - 2 mall pieces
cloves - few
cardamom - 2 pods (only seeds)
bay leaf - 2
salt - 3 tsp
oil / ghee - 2tbs
water - 8 cups
- wash peel and chop all the vegetables ( carrots , potato , cabbage , onions , green chilly )
- ground ginger , garlic into rough paste .
- heat oil / ghee in a wide pan on medium low heat , when oil is hot add bay leaf , cinnamon , cloves , cardamom seeds and fry until u small all the spices (they burn in no time) .
- add chopped onions , green chilly and and fry until they turn golden brown
- add ginger garlic paste until it leaves the raw smell
- now add all the chopped vegetables (carrots , potato , cabbage ) , mix them and saute until they are half cooked.
- add chopped mint and mix it and let it cook for few secs until until nice aroma comes
- add the rice , mix every thing and let it fry until rice looks glossy and shiny .
- transfer the sauteed rice and vegetables mixture to the rice cooker , water , salt and mix it well
-now cover it and let it cook.
- in middle of cooking , open the lid and mix it so that all the vegetables won't float on top.
- once veg pulao is done , don't open the lid immediately...let it stand for 5-10 minutes .
veg pulao with tomato egg curry
It goes very well with potoato kurma / chicken curry / gravy / raita