Bendakaya/Okra -1lbOnion -1 big
Green chillys - 2
Maida/All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Ginger garlic paste -1tbs
Garam masala - 1tsp
Chilly powder - 1tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1 1/2 tsp(divided)
Oil for deep frying
- Wash and cut okra into 1cm pieces by removing the tips and tails .
- Finely chop the onion and green chillys .
- Heat 1tbs of oil in heavy bottom pan on medium heat and saute them until they turn light brown colour.
- Once the onion turn light brown add ginger garlic paste to it and fry until it leaves it raw smell .
- In a saperate bowl mix 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of chilli powder to the maida and mix well .
- Now add the okra pieces to the maida mixture and leave it for few minutes .
- Mean while heat the oil in skillet on medium high .
- When the oil is hot , dust off the excess maida and deep fry the okra until golden brown colour or until crispy .drain the fried okra on paper towel to take off any excess oil . (don't try to fry all the pieces at once , it may bring the oil temperature down and okra will be saugy .)
- Add the fried okra to the sauted onion and mix it will by adding salt , chilly powder , turmeric , garam masala .
- Fry it for 5 minutes on low flame
Serve it with rice as main dish or it taste even better with sambar/ rasam as side dish .
Okra seeds will pop while frying , so don't stand too close to the frying pan .