Enjoy holi with colorful veg dum biryani!!!
rice - 3cups
potatos - 3-4
carrots - 3
peas - 1cup
onion - 1 big
green chillies - 6
ginger garlic paste - 2tbs
curd - 1/2cup
garam masala - 11/2tbs (divided)
red chilly powder - 1/2tsp
turmeric - 1/2tsp
salt - 3tsp(divided)
cinnamon stisk - 1"piece
cloves - 6
star anise - 1 whole
orange food colour - 1/4tsp
coriander leaves / cilantro - few springs
mint - few sprigs
oil - 5 -6 tbs
(These are very old potato , so some buds are going on top . I don't know whether they are edible or not so I removed buds and used the potatos)
Pre preperation :
- Finely slice onions and saute until brown color (takes about 3tbs of oil) .
- Chop potatos and carrots in to bite size cutes and saute them saperately until they leaves it rew smell(takes about 1tbs of oil each)
- Saute peas until 2 minutes (about 1 tbs of oil)
- In small bowl , take curd and add garam masala (1tbs) , salt , red chilly powder , turmeric , ginger garlic paste and mix well . Add this curd mixture to the sautes veggies and marrinate for 30 minutes .
- Mean while take water in big pot and bring it to boil . When water is boiling add salt(2tsp) , cinnamon stick , cloves , star anise and rice and stirr well and let it cook until rice is 80%cooked .
- Once rice is cooked , drain off the rice in a colinder .
- Chop coriander leaves , mint leaves and slit green chilles .
- divide sauted onions , chopped coriande , mint leaves , slit green chillies in to 3 parts .
For dum :
- Preheat oven on 425 f .
- In a oven safe tray , spread the marinated veggies as bottom layer (spread it evenly) .
- On top of veggies , sprinkle 1/3 of the onions , mint and coriander leaves , split green chilles .
- now spread half of the cooked rice on top of it .(spread evenly) and sprinkle pinch of garam masala on top .
- Again sprinkle another 1/3rd of the mint , coriander leaves , onions , green chilles on the rice .
- Take another half of the rice and spread it evenly .
- take remaining onions , mint , coriander leaves , split green chillies and sprinkle over top of the rice .
- If you are using color , disolve the colour in 2tbs of water and sprinkle over the top of rice .
- Now cover the tray with foil and put it in oven and bake it for 20 minutes .
- After 20 minutes , carefully take it out from the oven and mix the rice and veggies until they all are mixed well and cover it and bake it again for 10 minutes .
- Now biryani is done .
Serve steaming hot veg biryani with chicken curry / kurma /gravy and raita
- can use any oyher veggies like cauliflowe , bell peppers , cabbage , brocalini ....
- I used dried peas . if using so soak them for 5 hrs and boil until cooked and use .
- Use spices according to your taste .
- Can use saffron instead of colour . Just soask in warm water / milk for 15 minutes before using .