Vankayalu / egg plants : 1kg(2lbs)
Peas(dry) - 1/2cup
Ginger - 1" piece
Garlic - 4 cloves
Green chillies - 8-10
Coriander leaves / cilantro - few springs
Curry powder / turmeric - 1/2tsp
Salt - 2tsp(divided)
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Split black gram - 1tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Whole red chilly - 1
Oil - 1tbs
- Soak peas in water for atleast 4 hrs and pressure cook until 2 wistles ( or until cooked well ).
- Add 1tsp of salt to water , chop the egg plant in to 1" cube and put them in salted water so that they don't turn brown . Chop the onions in to 1" strips .
- Do the tempering - heat oil in skillet on medium flame , when oil in hot add all the tempering ingredients and fry until mustard seeds pop .
- Now add chopped onions to the the tempered mixture and saute them until they turm little brown .
- Add the cooked peas to the browned onions and saute them until they are fried little bit .
- Mean while ground ginger , garlic , green chilly in to course paste .
- Once peas are fried add the grounded paste and fry it until it leaves its raw smell .
- Now add the chopped egg plant , salt and close it with lid and let in cook on low flame until it is cooked .
- Once the curry is done , curry powder and chopped coriander leaves and mix it well let it cook for 1 minute and take it off from flame .
- Serve Batani vankay kura with rice / chapathi
batani vankaya kura with rice
- Can we fresh / frozen peas instead on dry peas . If ur are using fresh / frozen peas , just add them to the fried onions .