Rice - 2cups
Kandipappu /Tur dal - 2/3cup
Carrot - 3 small( 1 big)
Mullangi / parsnip - 1small
Sorakaya /bottle gourd - small piece
Dry peas - 1/4cup
Tomato - 1 big
Oinion - 1 big
Green chillies - 3
Tamarind - 1 lemon size ball
Oil - 1tbs
Sambar powder -2tsp
Red chilly powder - 11/2tsp
Curry powder - 1/2tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4tsp
Salt - 11/2tsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Split black gram - 1tsp
Whole red chilles - 2
Ghee/oil - 1tbs
- Soak dry peas for atleast 3 hrs and cook them until soft .
- Put tamarind in microwave safe bowl and microwave it for 1 minute and let it cool .
- Wash rice and dal , soak for 15 minutes .
- Wash and cut all veggies(carrots , bottle gourd , parsnip, tomato , onion ) in to small pieces and split the green chilles.
- In a pressure cooker , add 1tbs of oil and let it heat on medium flame . When oil is hot , add split green chilles and saute it for few seconds . Now add chopped onions and saute it until the start changing color to light brown .
- Now add all the remaing veggies and saute it for 1 minute .
- Now add water to pot until veggies are covered (about 3 cups) . Cover the pot and bring it to a boil .
- Now add the soaked rice , dal and add water (1:4 ratio for rice to water ) i.e total amount of water used in cooking)
- Now add all the spices to it and mix it well .
- Close the pressure cooker with lid and let it cook for 3 wistles . Let it cool and until all the pressure is gone .
- Open the lid and mix it well .
- Extract juice from tamaring and add the juice to the cooked rice dal mixture .
- If rice is too thick , add some water ( about 1 cup) , mix it well and check for the final seasoning .Rice should be mushy and creamy consistency.
- Now do the tempering - Heat skillet on medium flame and add ghee to it . When ghee is hot , add the tempering ingredients and let them fry .
- Now add the tempered mixture to the cooked rice and mix it well.
- Serve steaming hot bisi bele bath with ghee and papad .
- Can use any other veggies like egg plant , cauliflower , beans , beet root ....
- Can use fresh / frozen peas ( i dont like the sweet bite of fresh / frozen peas )
- The ratio of rice to dal is 2:1 but that is too heavy for me , so i added less dal .
- Can always adjust spices according to your taste .