Chamadumpalu / taro root - 1kg(2lbs)
Onions - 2big
Tamarind -2 big lemon size balls
Vellulli karam / red chilly powder - 11/2tsp
Curry powder/Turmeric -1/2tsp
Salt - 2tsp (divided)
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Split black gram - 1tsp
Jeera - 1/2tsp
Whole red chilly - 1
Oil - 1tbs
- Wash and cook taro root (i cooked in pressure cooker until 2 wistles) . Let them cool little bit , peel and chop them into 1" pieces .
- In a microwave safe bowl take tamarind and some water (about 1 cup) and microwave it for 1 minute and let it cool .
- Finely dice the onions .
- Do the tempering - Heat skillet on medium flame and add oil to it . When oil is hot , add the tempering ingredients and let them fry .
- Once the tempering is done , add the diced onions and 1tsp of salt and saute until onions turn transperant .
- Now extract all the juice from tamarind and add it to sauted oinions and little more water if needed . Add red chilly powder , curry powder , 1stp of salt and mix it well and bring it to boil .
- Now add the chopped taro root and let it cook for 10 minutes . If the sauce is too thick , add little water .
- Check for the final seasoning and take it off from the flame .
- Serve chamadumpala pulusu with rice and ghee.
(big skillet with boiling chamadumpala pulusu)
Chamadumpala pulusu with rice
- IF you don't like too many onions , add little of them .
- Since tamarind is too tart , it takes lot of salt and chilly powder .
- This taste best for next day .